7.20.2010

Atlanta Adventures: Part 2

I’m a bit behind on my blogging due to a general lack of internet access unless I’m in the vicinity of a Starbucks, but I’ll do my best to catch up.

This past weekend a group of friends took me to see a couple bands play at this place called The Drunken Unicorn. (The name itself was cool enough for me to be interested, needless to say) It’s a little hole in the wall underground concert/bar venue, the stage being about one and a half feet off the ground and the whole place is maybe 15 ft wide, max. Very intimate and undergroundy, and thankfully the Hipsterness was kept to a minimum. The two bands we saw were Today the Sun Tomorrow the Moon and Stokeswood. Both definitely worth checking out.  I think by the end of the night we all had girl crushes on TSTM’s lead singer and her cute bangs.  They actually reminded me a lot of Forget Cassettes from Nashville and Stokeswood.. well the pajama pants with  carefully placed stars sewn on them should speak for themselves.


Conveniently directly attached to The Drunken Unicorn is a dance club owned by the same people called MJQ’s. Obviously by the point in the night we migrate over there, I’m loving this place even more. The DJ was awesome. Lots of electronic and R&B type stuff. Breakdancers everywhere. Huge bar – service never being a problem. Migates that dance with you that have been on So You Think You Can Dance. Bunnies painted on the walls… Heaven. Actually the whole atmosphere reminded me a lot of Alchemize, that used to be in Cincinnati if anyone else can remember that far back (I remember being 16 sneaking into that place before it closed down in Over the Rhine. I was a brave little sole back then).



So if you’re in the Atlanta area looking for a local favorite for a fun night on the town, this is definitely the place to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment